Pages

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
— L.M. Montgomery

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lessons from: The Little House Books



My favorite set of book growing up was the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I remember playing Mary and Laura with my sister and my mom reading out loud. As a child I just thought they were good stories, and how awful that "children were seen and not heard".

Reading them as an adult, I see the lessons that Ma and Pa were teaching the girls. I see the thankful spirit, even when there isn't much. The men and woman worked hard, but also enjoyed time together in fun. The children were expected to add to the family and obey.
I get a reminder from Ma, everytime she is joyful over simple things. Like a roof, or floor, a door.

How much do we, in this country (and others) expect "the best" even if it means working our selves to the bone, and going into debt to get it. We live in a world that does not know the simple pleasure of being together as a family. We take for granted a warm house, roof over our heads and an abundance of food. Instead of being thankful for what God has blessed us with. We need to find the balance of work, and joy (fun). We need to be content with what we have, not always wanting more and more and more. Also, going hand in hand with this, is taking care of what we have been blessed with (home repairs, car repairs, etc).

Now, as a woman who likes to cook, I think I would find salt pork and corn meal a bit bland. I live in a time where I have more variety, but am I now, being a good steward of what my husband provides (funds for food, unlike Pa who hunted/trapped)? Am I content to have a simple home, one where love, joy and thankfulness abound? Or am I falling into the more more more mind set.

Are we as parents raising our children to work hard, love family and be responsible, even at a young age? Sadly, "never ending childhood" seems to be the norm these days. I am not talking about "all work and no play" but being respectful of adults, obeying when told to do something, helping with house hold chores and taking care of the toy that the kids have.

Just some thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read all your comments!