Pages

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
— L.M. Montgomery

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tile Floor: Part 1

Yesterday morning, bright and early, my mother-in-law came down to help me lay the tile on the kitchen floor. By help, I really mean show me how. I was clueless. She is talented. After a doughnut and some coffee we got to it.

Now, the house was built in 1937 and the floors are not too level, they slop a bit, Aaron spent a bunch of time one day getting that almost all the way fixed. Well, it caused a bow that we didn't notice before. Right in the kitchen. That wouldn't work with the tile, so, under the house he went again.  While he was doing that, Kathleen showed me how to decide on how you wanted the tiles in the door ways and we dry laid the first couple rows to make sure everything met in the middle.
dirty floor, but this is a good picture of the color.

All the day, between taking care of kids, posting cars and such either I (not as much as I would have liked too) or Aaron helped her. She headed home with just a small section for us to finish last night. I started in on it, and then Aaron finish the last corner while I got Andrew to bed.

Did you know you use muscles laying tile that you didn't know you had?

This evening I will wash the tiles off and pull up the spacers, so we can grout tomorrow! 

Thanks so much for your help Kathleen! 

all the white residue is what I am cleaning off today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read all your comments!