Pages

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
— L.M. Montgomery

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Rule


We have a new rule in our house. It goes something like this, " Daddy and Mama are NOT picking up your toys!"

This new, wonderful rule, came about last week. The girls were just being pills about picking up the mess they had made. All the while I was helping them, I was calmly crabbing at them to pick up. I finally said to my self, "I am done, SOMETHING has got to change!"

I sat down with the girls (Daddy was on a call, but got a full report and threw in his bit as well when he got home). I asked them if they were being kind (respectful) to their toys. I asked them why Mama or Daddy had to fight them to pick up, to which I got this response from Clara, " 'cause you will pick them up!"

Just then a light bulb went off. I told the girls that the messes they make, THEY have to pick up. Mama and Daddy will sit in the room with them, and direct if needed, but THEY are picking up their toys! We will help with laundry, making beds etc....but the toys. We are not touching them!

Guess what? Neither Daddy or I have had to crab at the kids to pick up. Almost every night, the girls (and Andrew) pick up the days fun in the living room before dinner. After dinner we go into their room, and they pick up in there. Now, they are 4, 3 and we are throwing in a 2 year old to "help" so its not perfect, but its done happily, with big smiles and Flora usually starts to sing.  I go in and clean the bird cage, dust, vacuum and change sheets once a week. Its not a huge chore any more! Plus, the kids are learning that the messes they make are THEIR responsibility!









2 comments:

  1. It's an on-going problem. :) It's solved for now, but it'll come back! :D

    With Bug I tell him that if *I* have to pick it up, then it's *MINE* and I get to choose who plays with them. It helps, although sometimes he leaves things for me to pick up because he thinks I need more toys! :)

    At least they are doing it now! I know too many people who didn't require their toddlers and preschoolers to pick up their toys and now they have big problems doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts too! I know we will have to be creative with this at a later date, but they are getting it now, and they don't make as big of messes, because I remind them they will have to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read all your comments!