Pages

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
— L.M. Montgomery

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I am sitting in my chair, hot cup of coffee, kids happily watching Marta speaks. The electric fireplace is cranking out heat. The snow is falling. It's a perfect, cozy winter day.

Only, it's April 26th, not Jan. 26th and we have a winter weather warning in effect. 2-4 inches of snow this morning. Saturday and Sunday we had real spring. the temp was 61 and it was sunny and wonderful. Monday brought record amounts of rain! 

Ug! I am SO tired of this weather. I want to get the yard and garden in order. I want to be out side and soak up sunshine. Sunday I ordered most of my garden seeds!

This year we are planting a nice big garden. I am ordering most of my seeds through Baker Creek. They are an heirloom seed company that offers non-GMO seeds and a whole slathering of neat,rare seeds!(the $3 shipping is also wonderful!) 
 
This year we are planting (from Baker Creek):
 
Bull's Blood Beet
Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage
Muscade Carrot
Country Gentleman Sweet Corn
Beit Alpha Cucumber
Rice Blue Bonnet
Quinoa Kaslala
Autumn Giant Leek
Rocky Top Lettuce Mix
Five Color Silver Beet Chard
Sugar Baby Watermelon
Oregon Sugar Pod II Snow Pea
Sugar Ann Snap Pea
Bush Buttercup (winter squash
Zucchini Squash - Black Beauty
Chinese Red Meat  (radish)
 
We will also be planting two kinds of potatoes, another kind of carrots, spinach, onions, garlic, green beans and 15ish tomato plants! This along with my strawberries, blackberries (if they make it) blueberries, apple trees and herbs! :) 
 
Now, some fun, warm pictures I got of the fire in the fire pit Sunday. 
 



 
Stay warm where every you all are and enjoy today!
 
          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read all your comments!