Pages

"I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
— L.M. Montgomery

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Keeping our House Open

I have had this on my mind for a while. Something I have struggled with. By nature, I love to be social and host people at our house. I always have. But there is another side of me. I can just want to be with my family and no one else too. With my husband's job, and the small town we live in, people will just drop by. I LOVE THIS, but I dislike it when my house is messy. 
 
When God provided this house for us, Aaron and I sat down and talked about how we could honor HIM with this blessing. Having our house open is part of that. BUT its also my job to keep it somewhat company ready. Now, since we are 5 people, and three of them are kids and like to play, this is not going to mean picture perfect. It does mean that I keep the floors clean, the kitchen tidy and the bathroom clean. And another side of it, when someone stops by, that we welcome them with a smile and invite them in. Even if the kids just spilled something on the floor. Dishes are in the sink etc. We do after all live here. 
 
We feel that God commands us to be hospitable and open to company. My goal this year is to get better at this, invite more people for dinner, work on keeping my house cleaner, so its easy to tidy daily, be ready with a cheerful attitude when people stop by, even if there is a pile of toys on the floor, or I havn't loaded the dishwasher or swept the floor yet.
 
So, if you are in the area, stop by, say hi and look the other way at the pile of laundry, I am trying to be better, but am not at all perfect!
Blessings!




3 comments:

  1. We're there to see you and your family not your house anyways ....lol But I totally get worrying about your home being open...I myself have to work on that as well and to not dwell on the little mess'. It drives my family nuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, its so nice having you and Dave stop by! :) I think its a hard thing for us woman, we want everything to be perfect. Its the letting go of the "perfect" mind set that's the hard part! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love to read all your comments!