There is a huge problem, that we have all heard about. Something so awful, that we (or at least I) tend to put is from my mind, telling my self that I don't want to dwell on it. Human Trafficking, young girls forced into prostitution. Forced, horrific abortions. It breaks my heart and makes me sick. There is a way we can help. Today a fellow blogger brought this to my attention.
"The Mercy House exists to support and provide alternative options for pregnant girls living in the streets of Kenya. The Mercy House will aid them in nutrition, housing, prenatal care, counseling, Biblical teaching and job skills for sustainable living. "
In March of 2010, Kristen traveled to Kenya, Africa, with Compassion International, the world's largest child sponsorship program, to blog their relief efforts in the slums of Nairobi. She was especially burdened visiting the Mathare Valley, one of Africa's largest slums. Just days after returning home, Kristen read a heartbreaking article by CNN about the large number of backstreet abortions by girls forced into prostitution to feed their families. (Taken from the ABOUT page on the website)
The Issues they are facing are these:
- Annually, 26,000 women die from having an illegal, unsafe abortion in Kenya. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- Abortion is a volatile topic in Kenya.
- 13,000 Kenyan girls are kicked out of school for being pregnant. (Center for Reproductive Rights)
- 25% of pregnant women in Kenya are HIV positive (ObGyn in Kenya)
- Every 30 minutes, a woman is raped in Kenya. (Nairobi Women’s Hospital)
- Mothers often force their daughters into trading sex for food in the slums (CNN)
- More than 20,000 children are sex trafficked in Kenya (Human Trafficking)
- 1500 women die in childbirth every day across Africa (WHO)
Their Vision is this:
- Provide a safe place-a guarded home with six maternity beds
- Partner with local churches
- Prenatal Care-vitamins, checkups
- Proper Nutrition-protein and regular meals
- Counseling-post abortion/prostitution
- Ministry-prayer, Biblical teaching
- Skills-jewelry, soap, sewing (future products will be sold on the site)
- A nurturing environment in-which to give birth
- A safe place to stay and learn and heal until they graduate from the program
- A microloan to start small business or go to school
- With help, direction and training from the leadership of Living Hope Ministries, a successful pro-life organization, **Rehema House will teach the girls in all aspects of life, functioning within the culture of Africa.
- Plans are in motion to open a six-bed maternity home to house pregnant girls and staff on the outskirts of Nairobi. Our initial goal is to open the home in the summer of 2011.
- It is the desire of The Mercy House team to fulfill Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good: And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and love mercy, to walk humbly with your God."
God has blessed their desires to help and they have started this non profit organization. They are opening the house in April 2011. They need support. Prayer being the largest need. If you can, they also need financial support. Anything and everything helps!
The Power of Three
I have signed up to give to them monthly. Can you give $3 on the third of every month or maybe more?
*please note, Mercy House has no clue who I am, I am inspired and thrilled to see them doing this. I just wanted to share!*